Thursday, January 2, 2014

{ " Sally Hansen Mega Shine Top Coat " }


Image from Google
So, in my search for a new top coat that was not Seche Vite Dry Fast, which is my absolute favorite, I picked up the Sally Hansen Mega Shine Extended Wear Top Coat at CVS.

I found this top coat at CVS for $7.29. I had read about it a little bit online, and there were mixed reviews. I decided to try it out for myself... and well, I wasn't impressed.

The package tells you to apply a thick layer of this to completely dry nails. WAIT A SECOND. I thought this was a fast drying top coat? Well, evidently it's fast drying once you've applied it to your nails. So, I waited for my nails to dry completely, and then applied a thick coat. This top coat is supposed to be completely dry in only a minute. I did wrap my nails with it as well, to keep shrinking to a minimum. Well... I waited more than a minute, and tapped my nails together to find they were still quite tacky. I didn't really have anymore time to sit around, so I figured I would just be careful. Before I knew it after about 10 minutes of letting them dry, they were still tacky and several nails had dents in them. Not happy with that, seeing as I took about 20 minutes to paint my nails to begin with. I also noticed that the tips started to shrink, and though I wrapped the tips, the polish pulled back and I could see that the very tips of my nails were bare. I went to a party on New Years Even night, after I painted my nails, and by the time I came home my a few of my nails had little chips on them. They were not really shiny anymore either. Which was disappointing seeing as the top coat is called "Mega Shine". I love when my nails are shiny. I have a matte top coat, and I never use it, because it bugs me when my nails aren't shiny. Plus, the bottle is totally impractical. It is silver, so you have absolutely no way of seeing how much product is left in the bottle. Sure, it's pretty, but it's also pretty silly.

I'm honestly going to give this two stars. It was shiny at first, which was nice... and maybe it would work if you had an extra 15 minutes to sit and let your nails dry, but I don't!

Unfortunately I'm going to be returning this... I really don't see any sense in keeping it. I wanted a fast drying top coat, not a topcoat that dried in over 15 minutes, and still dented easily. Seche Vite definitely out stands this, so I'll just stick to using that. It's cheaper anyways!

Question!
Have any of you tried "quick dry drops"? I see them from Sally Hansen, but I'm a little bit wary of them... I'd rather use a quick dry topcoat I think! 

I hope this review was helpful for someone!
Live in the moment,

4 comments:

  1. I just got some quick drop stuff from julep.
    http://www.julep.com/shop/new-arrivals/nail-hand-foot-care/ta-da-quick-dry-drops.html
    you can borrow it if you would like and write a review on it! I have not used it yet due to my nails currently being acrylic. :)

    Also, I was able to use this topcoat:
    http://www.julep.com/freedom-topcoat.html
    And it worked amazingly! Definitely the best top coat I have used. Over Sally Hansen, Essie, and OPI.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I would love to try it to review! :)

      I have been eyeing that topcoat for so long, glad to hear it works good! The topcoat I am currently using is Seche Vite Dry Fast, but unfortunately it contains toulene (which apparently is some nasty stuff)... so that is a bummer. So, I'm attempting to find a new top coat, that is 4-free, or even 3-free, so I can stay away from the toulene, and formaldehyde and such yucky chemicals.

      Thanks, Cora! :)

      Delete
  2. I never got an email saying you replied!

    I will try to remember to bring those Wednesday for you to borrow. It will be good for them to get some use until I get my acrylics off. I have been getting them done for over a year and think it's time to stop it...we will see!

    The Julep top coat is 4free!! It is expensive, but I get their emails and sometimes they have great coupons and deals. :)

    Remind me to bring them if I don't Wednesday!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's strange! I usually get emails immediately when people comment, or reply to comments. But, that might be because it's my blog? I'm not sure!

      I am always up for giving manicures. ;)

      I have gotten a couple of the Maven Boxes from Julep, and I have a few of their polishes. I am not too impressed by the polishes, but I have seen/heard that the topcoat is good. :) Maybe sometime I'll buy that one.

      Delete