Thursday, November 14, 2013

{ " Desert Essence Green Apple & Ginger Shampoo/Conditioner " }


I have only been using this product for about a week and a half, but I figured I had my opinion on it, so it was about time to share it! 


I was using a different sulfate free shampoo called, Not Your Mother's Grow Long and Strong or something of that sort. I have been using sulfate-free shampoo for about the last year. It started with Organix (And, I have used about three of their different "scents"), then went to Not Your Mother's, and now to Desert Essence. The difference with Desert Essence compared to the others is well... it's better. 

Let me list the "No's" and the "Yes'" according to the website: 

NO:
Parabens
Sodium Lauryl/Laureth Sulfates
Phthalates
Artificial Fragrances or Colors
Silicones
EDTA
Glycol or Petroleum-based Ingredients
Phosphates
Animal Testing

YES: 
Vegatarian/Vegan
Wheat/Gluten Free
Recyclable 
Biodegradable
Renewable Sources
Cruelty Free


Well isn't that cool? The reason I looked into this line was, because of looking at a website called Vitacost. A girl I watch on YouTube also has Celiac disease, and she uses products from Desert Essence, and buys them through www.vitacost.com. Not all of Desert Essence's products are gluten free, but they have a section on their website that specifies the ones that are, and a ton of them are gluten free! 

So, let's get on with the show! 

SCENT:
The scent of products (especially for my hair) is extremely important to me. I have tried a couple of shampoos, and conditioners that have smelled so awful I had to stop using them. Then I have tried a few that smelled so good I wanted to eat them. Since this product is all natural, and has no artificial fragrances, it basically smells like all of the products. So, it smells like apples, and ginger. The scent kind of reminds me of dish soap for some reason... I'm not quite sure why, but it really does. The conditioner doesn't remind me as much of dish soap, but the shampoo is like full on dish soap!

TEXTURE: 
Texture? Would you call it the texture? I dunno, I'm trying to figure out which word I meant... but, anyways! The shampoo is very watery, and a little goes a long way. Which is a good thing, because it's not exactly cheap (we'll get to that later). It kind of just pours out onto your hand, and you don't have to squeeze the bottle at all. The conditioner is a little bit more thick, but not luxurious in the least. I use the conditioner only on my ends (the little ends that I have that is), so I can just use a little bit. The shampoo obviously does not produce a super intense lather, but it's all natural... so I didn't expect it!

PRICE: 
Each bottle on www.desertessance.com costs $8.99, but on www.vitacost.com the shampoo was $4.67, and the conditioner was $5.06. So, of course I ordered off of www.vitacost.com. You can also get Desert Essence products at Wegmans, or probably Whole Foods, maybe even Trader Joe's? I'm not sure, but I think the best place to buy their products is definitely www.vitacost.com! 

OVERALL: 
I love this shampoo and conditioner so far. It is the first gluten free volumizing shampoo and conditioner I have found. Also, it actually works. I don't know if it's actually, because of all of the natural oils, plant roots, and what not... or if it's, because it is just a very lightweight product. My hair is very "floaty"... can you use that word with hair? I don't know, but I'm going to. When my hair dries it does not try stuck to my scalp like normal. It has more body, and more volume for sure. I love how it dries, and usually the next day it looks even better. I don't actually have to use dry shampoo every day anymore to give it more volume. I can go four days without washing my hair (not four days without showering, don't worry), and it still looks very fluffy, and bouncy. 

I would definitely recommend this to anyone who is gluten-free and looking for a good volumizing shampoo and conditioner. It is an excellent product, and I can't wait to try out more Desert Essence products. 

Thanks for reading, if you have any questions, feel free to comment! 


2 comments:

  1. So glad you reviewed this - I was wondering about it just the other day. I've been searching for natural shampoos and conditioners that don't have the icky stuff in them, but whenever I've tried organic hair products I was never very pleased. I'm putting this on my list to try at some point :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ooh yay! Glad you found it helpful. :) You should definitely try it!

      Delete